AB.47G3BI

Technical Specifications
Name : AB.47G3B1
Family : Light Helicopter
Manufacturer : Costruzioni Aeronautiche Giovanni Agusta
Nation : Italy
Production Year : 1961
Dimensions
Fusolage Length : 9,267 m
Main Rotor Diameter : 11,316 m
Height : 2,836 m
Rotor Area : 100,52 m²
Weights
Empty : 805 kg
Maximum Take-off :  1.340 kg
Engines
270 HP with turbocharger
Performances
Maximum Speed : 169 km/h
Range : 440 km
History

The AB.47 was the first helicopter built by Agusta and the first rotary wing aircraft used by the Italian armed forces and government agencies. While journalist and pilot Leone Concato (1912-1977) advertised the commercial use of helicopters through the Aersilta company, the Ministry of Agriculture launched government use in 1949 with two US-built Bell 47Ds. The Air Force followed with three others in 1952. In 1952 Agusta obtained a license from Concato, who after failing to convince leading manufacturers to enter the new field was finally able to persuade Domenico Agusta. The license in- cluded some important markets: even the 239 Model 47s built by Westland in Britain stemmed from an Agusta sub-license. The first Italian-built AB.47 flew on 22 May 1954. It was followed by about 1,000 more, including some 120 for the military and government agencies. The last AB.47 that left the Cascina Costa factory in 1976 was also the final one built in the world. Ital- ian military use ended in 1992 at the 72nd Wing in Frosinone. The AB.47 on display is a G-3B1 “Super Alpino” variant, fitted with a turbocharger to main- tain power at altitude, metal blades, larger fuel tanks, three-seat cabin, hy- draulic power controls. Identified by construction number 1616, it made its first flight on 6 June 1966 with test pilot Vincenzo Frixa. Delivered to the Carabinieri on 3 August 1966 with serial MM.80483 and code CC-14, it suf- fered an accident on 22 August 1969. Repaired by Agusta and retested on 2 March 1970 by Luciano Forzani, it served in Bolzano in 1977. After being withdrawn from use, it was assigned to Alta Irpinia community for public display but was eventually acquired by Pozzi Avio. It was delivered to the Museum in May 2010.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter