Bell 47G3BI

Technical Specifications
Name : Bell 47G3B1
Family : Light Helicopter
Manufacturer : BBell Aircraft Corporation
Nation : USA
Production Year : 1947 (model G : 1953)
Dimensions
Fusolage Length : 9,267 m
Main Rotor Diameter : 11,316 m
Height : 2,836 m
Rotor Area : 100,52 m²
Weights
Empty : 805 kg
Maximum Take-off :  1340 kg
Engines
270 HP with turbocharger
Performances
Maximum Speed : 169 km/h
Range : 440 km
History

The Bell 47 was the world’s first helicopter certified for commercial use and made rotary wing aircraft common in every Western country. The Model 47 was developed under Arthur Young (1905-1995) by initiative of the Bell Air- craft Corporation founded in 1935 by Larry Bell (1894-1956). The single- seat Model “30” development helicopter flew on 29 July 1943 with Floyd Carlson at the controls, who also took aloft the two-seat Model 47 on 8 De- cember 1945. The helicopter sported a two-blade main rotor with stabilizer bars with anti-torque rotor at the end of the unfaired tail truss. The piston engine was mounted vertically behind the cockpit, which reached its final configuration with the G model. The landing gear consisted of four wheels, eventually replaced with skids. Civil certification was achieved on 8 March 1946 and led to massive military and commercial sales. A total of 5,000 Bell 47s were built in the United States and under license in Japan, Britain and Italy. Agusta entered the helicopter business with the Model 47 and built about 1,000 between 1954-1976. Starting with speed and altitude records in March 1949, the Bell 47 established many rotary wing records. In 1950 it was the first helicopter to cross the Alps, and on 6 June 1955 the French pilot Jean Moine braved -10 °C temperatures to land on the Mont Blanc. The helicopter on display is a US-made Bell 47G-3B1. Built in 1964 with number 2926, it flew in America as N1130W for a dozen years. Imported in Italy in 1977, it became I-TRIB and operated with Elilombardia from Calcinate del Pesce (Varese), mainly on agricultural work. After several owners, it ended its career in Milan with ATAL. Acquired and stored by Pozzi Avio, it was ob- tained by the Museum in 2010.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter