CH-47C Chinook

Technical Specifications
Name : CH-47C Chinook
Family : Heavy transport helicopter
Manufacturer : Boeing Vertol
Nation : USA
Production Year : 1961
Dimensions
Fusolage Length : 15,54 m
Main Rotor Diameter : 18,29 m
Height : 5,68 m
Rotor Area : Total rotor area 582 m²
Weights
Empty : 9243 kg
Maximum Take-off :  20865 kg
Engines
2 AVCO Lycoming T55-L11A 3.750 SHP each
Performances
Maximum Speed : 286 km/h
Range : 3h 30'
History

The CH-47 Chinook is a medium helicopter capable of carrying loads com- parable to those of aircraft. It is used for military and commercial transport and for disaster relief. Conceived in 1956 in reply to a US Army battlefield mobility requirement, the Vertol Model 114 offered a large and easily ac- cessible cargo box thanks to the layout typical of Frank Piasecki (1919- 2008) designs, with two counter-rotating rotors atop the fuselage that al- lowed dispensing with the tail-mounted antitorque rotor. The new helicop- ter could carry up to 8 tons or 44 soldiers. The prototype flew on 21 Sep- tember 1961, by when Vertol had been absorbed by Boeing. The first CH-47A were delivered in 1962 and found use in Vietnam. The CH-47C flew in 1967 and had blades made from composite materials. The Model 234 passenger version appeared in 1978 and was used among others by British Airways to serve North Sea oil rigs. 21 countries have adopted the military variants and production continues, with 1,200 Chinooks already delivered. Agusta obtained the license on 1968 through its Elicotteri Meridionali sub- sidiary in Frosinone. It built CH-47C for the Italian Army Aviation (ALE, later AVES) and 135 for export. AVES ordered a further 16 CH-47F in 2010. Ca- pable and versatile, from the 1976 earthquake in Friuli onwards the Italian Chinooks have been frequently used in natural disasters and against forest fires. The Chinook on display is in the special scheme created in 2006 for the 30th anniversary of Italian Army Aviation. It is the 19th built in Italy and was accepted by the Army on 13 January 1977 with serial MM.80840 and codes EI-818. It served at Viterbo with the 1st Raggruppamento ALE “An- tares”. In 1993 it was deployed to Mozambique with the United Nations. It was withdrawn from service in 2001 and arrived at the Museum in 2009.

Thanks to: Aviazione dell’esercito italiano.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter