MB.308

Technical Specifications
Name : MB.308
Family : Touring aircraft
Manufacturer : Aeronautica Macchi
Nation : Italy
Production Year : 1947
Dimensions
Length : 6,52 m
Span : 10 m
Height : 2,175 m
Wing Area : 13,72 m²
Weights
Empty : 367 kg
Maximum Take-off :  600 kg
Engines
CNA D.4 60 HP
Performances
Maximum Speed : 175 km/h
Range : 450 km
History

The Macchi MB.308 touring and training monoplane was the first new Ital- ian design to fly after the Second World War. The type was a symbol of the rebirth of general aviation in Italy.
The MB.308 was designed by Ermanno Bazzocchi (1913-2005), who based it on the PM.1 which he had studied with Vittorio Calderini in 1938-1939 at the Milan Polytechnic. When he replaced Mario Castoldi (1888-1968) as Technical Director at Macchi in Autumn 1945, he suggested that the com- pany return to aircraft production by building the small two-seater. The fact that chairman Paolo Foresio (1900-1980) accepted is indicative of the over- all situation and of the will to stay in the aviation business. When the Allies lifted the ban on private flying, the MB.308 was ready and Guido Carestiato (1911-1980) took it into the air on 19 January 1947 from Venegono.
The new aircraft had an all-wood structure, a high wing and the first series- production tricycle gear in Italy. The first MB.308 had Italian CNA D.4 en- gines, later followed by more readily available and cheaper American en- gines: first the Continental A-65, then the C-85. Ten MB.308 were fitted with floats and became seaplanes. A total of 182 MB.308 were built, includ- ing 46 in Argentina. The largest user was the Italian Air Force, which bought 80 and from 1951 passed 40 on to the Aero Club of Italy.
The MB.308 on display is I-FABR, the very first MB.308. It was built in secret in 1946 and flew on 19 January 1947. The registration honored Fabrizio Foresio, the first son of the chairman. The aircraft was re-engined with an A-65 in 1956 and ended its career at Forlì in the early 1980s. It was recov- ered by Aermacchi and restored in 1979-1980. It was eventually refitted with a D.4 engine and displayed at Venegono. It has been on loan to the Museum since 2008.

Thank to: Alenia Aermacchi.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter