MB.326

Technical Specifications
Name : MB.326
Family : Jet trainer
Manufacturer : Aer.Macchi
Nation : Italy
Production Year : 1957
Dimensions
Length : 10,50 m
Span : (With tip tanks) 10,56 m
Height : 3,46 m
Wing Area : 19 m²
Weights
Empty : 2132 kg
Maximum Take-off :  2990 kg
Engines
Armstrong Siddeley (Bristol Siddeley/ Rolls-Royce) Viper 11 1111 static thrust
Performances
Maximum Speed : 820 km/h
Range : 1250 km (With tip tanks)
History

The MB.326 trainer is the most widely built jet of Italian design. With univer- sally appreciated handling qualities, it is still in service in many countries. Developed by Ermanno Bazzocchi (1914-2005) from 1953, the MB.326 had its key strengths in its excellent training qualities, simplicity and low cost. The prototype was built in just 18 months and was flown by Guido Cares- tiato (1911-1980) from Venegono on 10 December 1957. Production to- taled 762 aircraft, including 413 under license in Australia, Brazil and South Africa, where it helped create domestic aviation industries and equipped aerobatic teams. The Italian Air Force received 131, used mainly at the Basic-Initial Jet School in Lecce from 1962 to 1984. Alitalia used the cus- tomized MB.326D variant to train airline pilots from 1963 to 1967. The up- graded G model was suitable for operational roles. The final ground attack MB.326K version had a 1,814 kg Viper 632-43 and a structural configura- tion that served as basis for its MB.339 successor. The MB.326 on display is the oldest in existence. It is the second prototype, MM.572, flown by Car- estiato on 22 September 1958 with the Viper 9 and evaluated in France a month later. Modified with the larger intakes required by the more powerful Viper 11, it was reflown on 30 May 1959. It was exhibited at the Paris air shows in 1959 and 1961 and was shown in Sweden. After serving with the Italian Air Force Test Flight Unit, it became a ground instructional airframe at Capua. Recovered by Aermacchi in the 1980s, it was restored to repre- sent the first prototype MM.571 and displayed at Venegono. Presented to Italian Air Force in 1999, it is on loan to the Museum since 2010.

Thanks to: Aeronautica Militare Italiana.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter