NH.500MC

Technical Specifications
Name : NH.500MC
Family : Observation Helicopter
Manufacturer : BredaNardi (Hughes license)
Nation : USA
Production Year : 1965
Dimensions
Fusolage Length : 7,01 m
Main Rotor Diameter : 8,03 m
Height : 2,48 m
Rotor Area : 50,92 m²
Weights
Empty : 493 kg
Maximum Take-off :  1157 kg
Engines
Allison 250 C-20 da 400 SHP
Performances
Maximum Speed : 232 km/h
Range : 605 km
History

The Hughes 500 helicopter is the most successful product of the Hughes Tool Corporation owned by the American billionaire Howard Hughes (1905-1976), as knowledgeable about aviation as he was eccentric. It is in- stantly recognized by the egg-shaped fuselage. It was originally conceived by a team led by M.S. Harmed as the Model 369 in response to US Army light observation competition. Characterized by a four-blade main rotor and the simple tail boom, it flew on 27 February 1963 from Culver City, in California. Two years later it won the competition and became the OH-6 Cayuse, but a few years later schedule and price issues led the Army to cancel the contract and switch to its Bell 206 competitor. Production contin- ued for export under the 500M name. The later D version introduced a five-blade rotor and T-tail, while the E added a pointed nose. About 5,000 Model 369s of all variants have been built in the USA (also under the Mc- Donnell Douglas, Boeing and MD Helicopter brands), Argentina, South Korea, Japan and Italy (by BredaNardi, eventually absorbed by Agusta). The first Italian user was the Treasury Police, followed by the Forestry Corps and the Italian Air Force. The Nardi-Hughes NH-500MC on display was built at Monteprandone (Ascoli Piceno province) by BredaNardi in 1977 with con- struction number 28-0281 and military serial MM.81051. It was delivered to the Treasury Police on 19 April 1978 with code GdiF-93 and served ini- tially with the Rome-Centocelle Air Group. Over the next 30 years it flew over 3,000 hours with various Flights. Withdrawn in spring 2009, it served briefly as a training aid. It was delivered to the Museum on 21 April 2010.

Thanks to: Guardia di Finanza.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter