SH-3D

Technical Specifications
Name : SH-3D
Family : Naval Helicopter
Manufacturer : Sikorsky
Nation : USA
Production Year : 1959
Dimensions
Length : 16,69 m
Span : 18,90 m
Height : 5,13 m
Rotor Area : 280,48 m²
Weights
Empty : 5647 kg
Maximum Take-off :  9526 kg
Engines
2 x General Electric T58 1500 SHP each
Performances
Maximum Speed : 267 km/h
Range : 1168 km
History

The Sikorsky S.61 is a medium helicopter for naval operations built in five countries in over 1,300 units. It was designed in reply to a US Navy require- ment for a helicopter capable of finding and attacking submarines. Among its innovations were the five-blade, folding rotor, turboshaft engines, fold- ing tail for stowage on ships, the hull-shaped fuselage with stabilizing pods for water-borne operations. The prototype flew on 11 March 1959. Special VIP variants were developed for the President of the United States and the Shah of Persia. The British variant built by Westland is known as Sea King. It is also used for Search and Rescue (SAR) and transportation, particularly in the civil sector. The Italian Navy selected the SH-3D variant in 1965 for anti-submarine warfare and eventually bought 36. This led to license pro- duction by Agusta, which also built the two TS models used since 1976 by the 31st Stormo of the Italian Air Force to carry the President of Italy, cabi- net members and the Pope. Two civil S.61 provided in 1967-1971 sched- uled service between Naples, Ischia, Capri and Sorrento. From 1994 on- wards the Italian Navy stripped several SH-3D of their equipment and con- verted them to the NLA standard to carry its Battaglione San Marco naval in- fantrymen. The SH-3D on display was built by Agusta for the Italian Navy as MM.5021N and coded 6-20. It made its first flight on 30 June 1972 piloted by Luciano Forzani. After being accepted on 26 July 1973, it was used to test the AS.12 air-surface missile. It was then employed by the 1st Helicop- ter Group at Luni, near La Spezia, on anti-submarine duties. It was with- drawn from service in 2008 as an NLA with 4th Group at Grottaglie, near Taranto. It was loaned to the Museum in 2010.

Thanks to: Marina Militare Italiana.

kids & family
Simulator area
Pic-Nic Area

Subscribe to the Newsletter

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter